FliteStar Weather Enhancements
Starting around the third week of July, we will begin rolling out an exciting new version of FliteStar that includes a number of specific enhancements that will improve the way you view and interact with weather. The fundamental objectives of the upcoming release (FliteStar v9.5) are to:
- Provide you with a rich, dynamic, continuously updated graphical view of the weather environment in both the enroute and profile views (using Jeppesen Worldwide Weather) that will help improve situational awareness.
- Reduce the need to move between the enroute and weather tabs by having FliteStar download weather (based on pre‐defined preferences), while creating a wind and temp adjusted NavLog as the flight plan is processed.
- Provide a new tool that allows you to see current weather at or near your time of departure plus forecast weather at various points along your route and at your destination when you plan to arrive.
The following notes provide a brief overview of key elements to help give you a sense of what you can expect to see when the new version of FliteStar launches in July.
Jeppesen weather (for your FliteStar coverage area) will be included with FliteStar v9.5. Jeppesen weather combines the latest data from National Weather Service and other sources including NEXRAD mosaics, icing.
Jeppesen weather overlays on the enroute chart will be updated automatically when‐ever an Internet connection is available
A new weather toolbar (1) gives you the ability to turn‐on and off any weather element on the enroute chart making the overlayview highly “customizable” while greatly improving situational awarness.
New tool … the Chart Time Slider (2) allows you to see current weather activity for the planned flight and provides valuable information on what the weather may enroute and at the end of the route (forecast data).
The Weather Legend (3) shows all weather elements currently displayed. It can be toggled to show the full legend (shown in image) or an abbreviated legend with just age of data. It may also be hidden completely and made transparent or opaque at your discretion.
Icing (4) has been added to the Profile View to help you formulate an ice‐avoidance strategy and flight plan before ever leaving the ground.
Why Jeppesen Weather …
Jeppesen has been providing world‐class weather to pilots, dispatchers and other aviation professionals for more than 25 years. The company employs and supports a staff of professional meteorologists who analyze weather data from around the globe, generate numerous graphical, aviation‐specific maps as well as provide personalized briefings and customized forecasts. Jeppesen ingests weather from multiple data sources including the National Weather Service (NWS), the United Kingdom Met Office (UKMO), Unisys, Weather Decisions Technology (WDT), and WSI then employs a redundant, robust architecture to ensure that he data is being ingested, processed and made available to customers 24 hours a day, seven days a week every day of the year. Jeppesen was the first private company to be awarded FAA QICP certification which validates Jeppesen as a safe, reliable web weather service which allows FAA Part 121 and 135 operators to use Jeppesen web‐based weather for operational purposes.
Key User Benefits …
- Jeppesen weather covers the globe and it’s the only worldwide weather source integrated with FliteStar.
- Jeppesen weather coverage aligned to your FliteStar coverage area will be included as part of version 9.5.
- Jeppesen weather is seamless allowing you to fly between continents and over oceans using a single provider.
- We provide weather products that are simply unavailable from any other provider including DUAT/s.
- Jeppesen weather sources and processes are monitored around the clock. If any interruption occurs our personnel are alerted immediately so the problem can be resolved in the shortest possible time.
- Jeppesen provides worldwide turbulence and ceiling visibility forecasts including a NEXRAD radar forecast product that enables customers to see precipitation forecasts up to 6 hours into the future.
- Our worldwide lightning lets customers regardless of location know where convection is actively occurring.
- We use “gridded numerical wind and temperature forecasts” which allows customers to see textual wind and temperature aloft forecasts for any point above the earth.
- Unlike DUAT/s which is subject to government contracts, Jeppesen is an independent weather provider dedicated to supporting all segments of the aviation market, worldwide.